On Valentine’s morning I made a one of our new valentine’s day treats . . . it’s addictive. I had to wrap it up quickly or I’d eat it all. I’m not kidding.
I looked for a red velvet cake mix, but couldn’t find it. The strawberry cake mix gave a nice flavor to the puppy chow.
I had a little bit of red plastic wrap, so I started with red plastic wrap. Next, I criss-crossed with clear plastic wrap. (You can use all red if you like). Pour a generous scoop or two in the middle. Pull up the corners to bundle it.
I’m sure you could package this in cuter ways, but I wanted to use what I had on hand. If you have small bags or boxes, feel free to use those.
As soon as I was finished wrapping our valentine’s day treats I headed to Hunter’s house to deliver them.
- 2 cups rice chex
- 2 cups corn chex
- 2 cups popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup peanut M&M's
- 1/4 cup regular M&M's
- 1/2 cup jellybeans
- 1 bag white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup strawberry cake mix (or any red cake mix like red velvet or cherry)
- 1 pkg lime jello
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Mix together 1 cups each of popcorn, rice & corn chex. Add 1/4 cup peanut M&Ms and 1/4 cup jellybeans
- Melt 1/2 bag white chocolate chips in microwave on high. Stir every 30 seconds until melted. Be careful not to burn white chocolate.
- Pour on top of chex-candy mixture. Gently stir together until mixture is coated.
- Pour strawberry cake mix on top and mix together. If it is sticky, add some powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Repeat steps 1-3.
- Add enough powder sugar to the lime jello to make 1/3 cup powder mixture.
- Pour on top and gently mix together.
- Combine green & pink puppy chow. Add remaining M&M's. ENJOY!
If I made this again, I might omit the popcorn and increase the chex cereal to 3 cups each.
You can use a variety of Easter candies. Here are a few other options.
Peanut M&M's and Dark Chocolate M&M's / Peanut M&M's and Robin Eggs / Regular M&M's and Jellybeans / Robin Eggs and Jelly beans