During the winter months, I crave comfort food. What about you?
This recipe is a family favorite . . . everyone (kids included) loves it.
Right before I left for El Salvador, I planned to make chicken enchiladas. Only this time, I had a problem. I forgot to buy the tortillas and didn’t want to go back to the store.
So, I made up a new recipe called Southwest Chicken Enchilada Pie recipe. I put a picture on facebook and everyone wanted the recipe. Well, here it is.
Question: What’s your family’s favorite chicken dish? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked & quartered
- 1 white onion, peeled, & quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed with broad side of knife
- 2 jalapenos, seeded if you don’t want as much heat
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- olive oil
- ENCHILADA PIE:
- Olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups hot water
- chopped cilantro
- 1 deli chicken, boned & shredded
- salt & pepper
- ½ pound Mexican cheese blend (Monterey Jack & cheddar0
- toppings of choice – sour cream or guacamole
- tortilla chips
- Sprinkle olive oil on a metal pan.
- Place all veggies in pan.
- Bake 400 for 10 minutes or until onions start to brown.
- Flip veggies to brown other side for 5-10 minutes. Work on enchiladas at this time.
- Place all veggies & spices into food processor.
- Pulse until chunky.
- ENCHILADA PIE:
- Add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil to skillet
- Saute onion & garlic in skill oven-safe skillet (I use wrought iron skillet)
- Add flour and cook on low heat until flour blends with onion/garlic mixture
- Add chicken bouillon cubes & water. Mix until cubes are dissolved
- Add shredded chicken & half of tomatillo sauce. Mix together in skillet
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Sprinkle tomatillo sauce on top of cheese
- Add chopped cilantro
- Bake 350 for 10-15 minutes, or until bubbly
- Serve over tortilla chips. Top with guacamole &/or sour cream