“Free Shipping On All IEW Products!”
“Are You Studying United States History This Year?”
Don’t Waste Your Time on
ANY Other Writing Program!
Are you looking for ways to teach advanced writing techniques?
Are you having a hard time pulling both writing & vocabulary & grammar together?
Are you stressing out about bringing everything together in an organized fashion?
Are you trying to find ways to integrate two subjects together?
WHAT I FOUND:
Veteran co-op teacher Lori Verstegan developed and test-taught these remarkable lesson plans for several years before refining them into this superb collection. This series of 32 lessons provides source texts, practice exercises and assignments/grading checklists for all nine of the Teaching Writing: Structure & Style units from Institute for Excellence in Writing . This manual touches on people and events in U.S. history from the Civil War to the Present.
Most lessons begin with activities to teach an advanced stylistic technique or writing structure. These vary from cinquains to MLA formatting, to anecdotal openers to persuasive techniques. An overview of the lesson is provided, as well as a step-by-step, easy-to-follow lesson plans. A sample whiteboard is included in the teachers manual to guide the teacher as she teaches each lesson. Assignments are clearly presented and include a specific checklist.
Each lesson has vocabulary words built into it. Students will be instructed to cut out one set of cards each lesson. They will be expected to include some vocabulary words in each composition they write. The student will also be quizzed (include in teacher’s manual) over the words periodically. The goal is that these words will become part of each student’s natural writing vocabulary. Answers to vocabulary quizzes are included in the teacher’s manual.
Advanced U.S. History-Based Writing Lessons is just another excellent supplement to Teaching Writing: Structure & Style. Lori provides 2-6 lessons for each of TWSS (IEW Teaching Writing) units thus covering stories, reports, formal essays, critiques and creative writing. Checklists are provided for both the teacher & student.
First of all, this resource addresses advanced writing techniques, in both structure & style. Not many writing programs work on a variety of advanced stylistic techniques. Sure, they teach the college essay, but do they show students how to continue improving their writing style?
Another reason I like this resource is how it integrates with American Literature. Use your American Lit course along with this writing course.
9 Reasons Why I Like Advanced US History-Based Writing Lessons
- FREE Student Resource Printable Pack– The Student Resource packet is a gold mine of its own containing:
-Banned Word Thesaurus
-72 vocabulary words on card stock complete with defining pictures and words
-Strong Verb Charts
-ly Words (Adverbs)
-Quality Adjective Charts
-Five Senses & Emotions
-Transition Words & Phrases
-Grammar Rules – Punctuation, Confused Words, Clauses, Phrases, etc
-Charts & Checklists
-Answers to Exercises
- Quick Reference Chart for Teachers – Teacher’s manual has a 2-page chart to summarize the structure, stylistic technique, vocabulary words, grammar rule & topic for each lesson.
- Grammar Rules Used In Writings – Once a grammar rule is taught & learned, it should be used properly in students’ writings.
- Stories Written in Your Book – The stories are right here in the book for you. You do NOT have to spend time searching for each story and/or making it appropriate for the age of your child.
- Samples & Examples – There are samples of other children’s work, as well as examples of the concept Lori is teaching for that lesson.
- Vocabulary Cards & Quizzes – It’s all here for you. Once your kids learn a vocabulary word, they will use it in their writing.
- Integrates with American Literature (High School Level)
- Spend Time on HOW to Write – Most writing programs spend most of their time brainstorming topics (what to write about) & precious little time on how to write well. IEW does just the opposite. This IEW program will teach your children HOW to write well. Best writing I’ve used or seen since 1999.
- Teaches A Variety of Writing Style & Structures – Your child will learn how to write summaries from single references or multiple references, poetry, formal essays, notes from lectures, critiques of literature, the super essay and more.
- FREE Shipping – Did I mention we offer FREE shipping on all IEW products? That’s right! You do NOT pay shipping. It’s on us.
100% Money Back Guarantee…for Life. I may request a refund of the purchase price, as long as the product is in re-saleable, like new condition.
MY SUGGESTION TO YOU:
Although elementary students can work through simplified versions of these lessons, I recommend students be in junior high or high school and have experience in structure & style.
“Advanced US History-Based Writing”
YES! I want to save myself time and help my child enjoy writing, using IEW’s Advanced US History-Based Writing for $49 with FREE shipping.
(If you need an extra student workbook, please put a note in the “Special Instruction” box after filling in your billing & shipping address. Extra student workbooks are just $29 each.)
I UNDERSTAND…I will receive:
- Advanced US History-Based Writing Manual (Student Book)
- Advanced US History-Based Writing Teacher Manual
- Stylistic Charts & Helps inside the manual
- Student Resource Notebook (ebook)
- FREE Shipping!
I UNDERSTAND… that Advanced US History-Based Writing comes with a 100% money back guarantee. I may request a refund of the purchase price, as long as the product is in re-saleable, like new condition.
This post may contain affiliate links.